Knowledge Sharing and Employee Performance: the mediating role of Organizational Learning

Bayu Setyo Nugroho, Hadiahti Utami, Mellasanti Ayuwardani, Nanang Adie Setyawan


This study aims to obtain the latest insights on various issues of Knowledge sharing and Organizational Learning variables to increase Employee Performance of SMEs. The sample was obtained through purposive sampling technique as many as 101 respondents spread over various areas in Semarang. The research technique uses Structural Equation Modeling (SEM) through the Partial Least Square (PLS) program. Other variables obtained from 101 respondents are name, age, gender, last education, SME identity, age when SMEs have operated, and domicile address. Filling out this questionnaire will take at least 20 minutes. The age range varies from less than 30 years old to a maximum age of 50 years. 85% who participated in this questionnaire were women, while the remaining 15% were men. Educational Background 40% are Bachelors and diplomas from universities, while the rest have equivalent high school backgrounds. The results of the study can explain the positive effect of the Knowledge Sharing variable on the increase in Organizational Learning by 41.9%, and the positive influence of the Knowledge Sharing variable on the increase in Employee Performance by 55.8%, and both have P-values < 0.05, namely 0.000 and 0.012. Knowledge Sharing (KS) has a positive effect on Employee Performance (EP) through Organizational Learning (OL) mediation, the significance of which is 0.000 or <0.05 with a quasi-mediating


Knowledge Sharing, Employee Performance, Organizational Learning, SMEs

Full Text:



Amaliyah, E. D. E., & Nugroho, B. S. (2022). Improving Personal Financial Management through Financial Technology, Financial Capability, and Spiritual Intelligence as Intervening Variable. Admisi Dan Bisnis, 23(1), 57–70.

Aranda, C., Arellano, J. and Davila, A. (2017), “Organizational learning in target setting”, Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 60 No. 3, pp. 1189-1211.

Chen, D.H.C. and Dahlman, C.J. (2006), “The knowledge economy, the KAM methodology and world

bank operations”, The International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, The World Bank, New York, NY.

Durst, S. and Edvardsson, I.R. (2012), “Knowledge management in SMEs: a literature review”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 16 No. 6, pp. 879-903.

Hislop, Donald. 2013. Knowledge Management In Organization. United Kingdom: Oxford Press.

Hussinki, H., Kianto, A., Vanhala, M. and Ritala, P. (2017), “Assessing the universality of knowledge management practices”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 21 No. 6, pp. 1596-1621.

Inkinen, H. (2016), “Review of empirical research on knowledge management practices and firm

performance”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 20 No. 2, pp. 230-257.

Massaro, M., Handley, K., Bagnoli, C. and Dumay, J. (2016), “Knowledge management in small and

medium enterprises: a structured literature review”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 20 No. 2, pp. 258-291.

Meher, J.R. and Mishra, R.K. (2019), “Assessing the influence of knowledge management practices on organizational performance: an ISM approach”, VINE Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems, Vol. 49 No. 3, pp. 440-456.

Ngah, R., Tai, T. and Bontis, N. (2016), “Knowledge management capabilities and organizational

performance in roads and transport authority of dubai: the mediating role of learning organization”, Knowledge and Process Management, Vol. 23 No. 3, pp. 184-193.

Nugroho, B. S. (2021). Human Resource Performance Improvement Model Design (Case Studi in the Biggest Central Java Automotive Company). Admisi Dan Bisnis, 22(1), 47–60.

Nugroho, B. S., Purnamasari, E., Prahara, T., & Ayuwardani, M. (2022). Penerapan Strategi Kaizen Production dan Integrated Digital Marketing Untuk Meningkatkan Produktivitas dan Penjualan Tanaman Hias. Surya Abdimas, 6(2), 361–370.

Obeso, M., Hernández-Linares, R., López-Fernández, M.C. and Serrano-Bedia, A.M. (2020), "Knowledge management processes and organizational performance: the mediating role of organizational learning", Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 24 No. 8, pp. 1859-1880.

Pinho, I., Rego, A. and Pina e Cunha, M. (2012), “Improving knowledge management processes: a hybrid positive approach”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 16 No. 2, pp. 215-242

Rechberg, I. and Syed, J. (2013), “Ethical issues in knowledge management: conflict of knowledge

ownership”, Journal of Knowledge Management, Vol. 17 No. 6, pp. 828-847.



  • There are currently no refbacks.

View My Stats